CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Back to School - Repurposed Shirt

Every year before my kids head back to school, I drag the big totes out of the eaves that contain all their fall and winter clothing.  We pull everything out, try things on, and see what we might need to replace since we've outgrown things. 

Trying to save a little money this year, I decided to look through the pile of outgrown clothing and see if there was anything I could repurpose.  One thing that caught my eye, was this simple but cute penguin shirt.  My daughter and I both loved this shirt, but the long sleeves had become too short on her this year.  But paired with the sleeves of another too small shirt, we might be able to get another season of life out of it.



So, I took the blue shirt and cut the sleeves off.  I cut a straight line across at the arm pit.




Next, I cut the sleeves off the penguin shirt, leaving about 3/4 of the original length of the sleeves.




Then, I turned the blue sleeves inside out, slipped them onto the white sleeves and pinned them in place.



I used a straight stitch to sew the sleeves together.  When I was finished, I removed the pins and pulled the blue sleeves down and right side out.



Although the length of this shirt was still ok, I thought it couldn't hurt to add a little hem from the blue shirt to match the blue sleeves we added.  So I cut the bottom hem off the blue shirt, plus a few inches.



Again, I pinned this into place along the bottom hem of the white penguin shirt, and sewed the two hems together with a straight stitch.



I think it turned out really cute!  And I'm glad we were able to save another shirt for another year!


1 comment: